Monday, June 9, 2008

Apron

So I have decided to become an Apronista.

It all started a year ago when I began to feel an overwhelming desire to make aprons. I don't know why; I have a cute apron, which serves me well and was a gift from my sister-in-law and therefore has special meaning to me. Also, I don't spend a whole lot of time in the kitchen. I would like to, but other responsibilities preclude the kind of dedication to gastronomic endeavors I would like.

But I digress. Despite my overwhelming desire to make aprons, I did nothing, and other projects took the limelight. The urge was recently brought back to the surface in a pleasant type of regurgitation of old ideas. I rescued some fabric from my mother (I have adopted the "No Fabric Left Behind Act" which states that I must scavenge, gather and store any fabric that has been neglected or just needs a good home). The fabric I got from her inspired me to make an apron.

So, I chose two coordinating fabrics (one a pink and white stripe, the other a white with pink polka dots), thought for a week of what design would look best, and for the first time ever sewed something without a pattern (pillows excluded of course). With my friend Sarah's birthday coming up, I thought that she would be the perfect recipient of my first creation. I thought it turned out well considering I did not use a pattern and just guesstimated the dimensions. Sarah is just the type of glamorous woman to appreciate such a hyper-feminine apron.

So here's a close up of the ruffle.


And here are the back and front views.




So now, I'm off to make more aprons, because I still have fabric. And a girl can never have too many obsessions... or aprons.

3 comments:

  1. I had no idea that you sew. Your apron looks amazing. I too have been wanting to make myself some aprons. I don't think I could do what you do, but all the more reasons to admire the work you've done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... and the apron is fantastic, it makes me happy and want to cook every time I see it! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is amazing Kristina! I am soooo impressed! Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something good.