Monday, June 30, 2008

Would I call it a bike ride?



On Saturday morning, TC and I got up at 6:30am to do a 7:00am bike ride with Jared. I finally was able to join the biking boys on the ride I'd heard so much about. We drove up to 11th Avenue and Terrace Hills Drive where we found the trail head. It is .65 miles uphill to get to the Bonneville Shoreline Trail. Once we met up with that trail, it was a whole heck of a lot of downhill and tight turns. We headed west past the water tank toward the City Creek trail head. The Bonneville trail is dirt and rocks in this area (large smooth rocks half-buried). I was a chicken in some parts and walked my bike down, which was almost more of a risk than just riding down. My brakes we squealing and my entire body was jostled during the ride. I'm not much of a thrill-seeker, but this was just plain fun.

The view from the trail head is just beautiful. You can see the entire valley, and faintly hear the train whistle miles away. It is quiet, and beautiful. Next time I will definitely bring a camera.

TC and Jared were both patient with me as I slowly came down the hill. TC stayed behind me for most of the way so that he could see me if I wiped out.

Once we met up with the City Creek Trail the ride got a whole lot easier, since it was paved. It turns out that bikes aren't allowed in City Creek on even-numbered days (Saturday was the 28th. Oops!), which would explain why we were the only bikes around. I guess everyone else got the memo.

Once outside of Memory Grove, we rode up 1st Avenue to our place. What a steep hill to climb. But I trucked up it, and only pooped out for the last 20 or so feet of uphill. It was a bit pathetic, but we all have to start somewhere, right?

As far as soreness is concerned, I actually was not too sore from the ride. I have a super comfy gel seat that TC put on the bike for me last summer, so my hind parts were fine. What hurt the most were my hands. I had to grip the brakes so hard that my fingers were sore, adn the palms of my hands were tender as well from holding the grips. What odd places to be sore!

Overall it was a great ride, and one I will definitely do again. Next time I will wear long pants because of the heavy brush in some parts, and because I was pretty worried about falling and scraping up my legs. Also, I understand that next time Sarah, Jared's lovely wife, will join us. That will be great fun.

In July TC and I will do the Antelope Island by Moonlight ride. Jared will ride with us too, which will be great fun. TC and I went with my Dad, Kaye Lani and Keith last year and really enjoyed it. It's a great ride, and it's non-competitive, which is nice since I'm not all that fast (especially uphill).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me something good.