Monday, September 27, 2010

New Look 6942

I've been MIA and I really have no explanation. I've just been content reading other people's blogs rather than updating my own. And once I realized that I hadn't blogged in a while and imagined what excuses I would give you, and I couldn't come up with any good ones, so then I decided to put off writing for even longer. It's a vicious cycle.

Today I am here to share with you the amazing story of New Look 6942.


A long time ago I fell in love with this pattern. Against all odds, and against all better judgment I got it stuck in my mind that I was going to make view D, come hell or high water. I HAD to have a sleeveless vest with ruffle poufies. I just HAD to.





I chose my fabric: yet another fuchsia cotton I had in my stash and waited for the perfect moment to introduce myself to 6942. I finally found that moment a couple of weeks back. I cut into the pattern with courage and love. I sewed with adoration and accolades. But in the end, 6942 just didn't love me back, at least not in the way I loved her. *sigh*




I look happy, but I'm really fighting back the tears. All of the cute details I had imagined were distorted into bulk and ugliness. I had imagined the double ruffle so: one row of fuchsia ruffle, and another row of white and fuchsia paisley ruffle. It would be so cute I would hardly be able to stand it.





In reality, the double ruffle was pouffy and exaggerated and emphasized my broadish shoulders to the point of caricature. Dejected and alone, I decided to include only one ruffle: fuchsia lined with paisley.






The resulting ruffle sleeve was less bulky and added a measure of cute. So I pressed forward and finished the vest with love.






I used bias tape to finish the edges of the facing, and lovingly pressed and trimmed each seam like it was my own.





In the end I'm left with a vest that's cute enough, but completely impractical. I don't wear sleeveless jackets/vests. It's just not part of my everyday life. And even though this project has been finished for a few weeks, the only time I put it on was for these photos. It's another case of "what was I thinking?" It happens from time to time.

5 comments:

  1. I think sometimes we just have to sew something like this and realize that we just will not be wearing it. Look at as practice for the next sewing project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You never know...Put it away for now into your closet and next year you may come across it and lo! It's the new fave in the wardrobe. Then again, you could just send it to me and I'll wear it.

    I love your blog, Gordita!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really cute looking vest and you should be very proud of the great job you have done with it. However, I do understand what if feels like to make a garment that just doesn't turn out how you want and doesn't fit in with your wardrobe - it's happened to me quite a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the nice touches of the vest you made, though I understand when you have high hopes for a garment, and the finished product is just not what you imagined. At any rate, the vest is adorable on you, and the color is spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you kidding me? I think this is a gorgeous combination on you. Plus, it's a great spring look. I'm telling you-GORGEOUS. I mean, REALLY GORGEOUS. Try it. You'll get complimented. (Especially if you come to Boise)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something good.