Thursday, September 16, 2010

Simplicity 2413

I technically finished this skirt last week, but, well, you know, it took me a little while to photograph it.


Just to refresh your memory, here is the pattern cover.




I made the mauve version in a fuchsia stretch twill.



I really like this skirt. It's easy to wear, and different. Plus, it has pockets.


There was one teensy complication with making this skirt and that was that there is an invisible zipper in the side, right where there is a pocket. I read the instructions (not very carefully, mind you) and felt annoyed at the incomprehensibleness of them (they really weren't incomprehensible, I promise). So I decided to try to figure it out on my own. And I eventually did, after a whole lot of stitching, seam ripping, and more stitching, then realizing I just sewed the thing exactly the way I had when I decided I needed to rip out the seam in the first place. *sigh* I'm such a slow learner.




Here's the back. The pleated look expands my hips and back end, however I'm okay with that. It just serves to make my legs look even skinnier (apparently I have a thing for skinny legs?).



I've styled the skirt with a 3/4 sleeve tee in charcoal grey, my black Guess belt that in my opinion goes with pretty much everything I own, and my Michael Kors sandals.


I wore this skirt on Sunday to church, and styled it pretty much the same, except I switched out the tee for a white button down top. I was teaching Sunday school, so I really enjoyed the pockets as they gave me a place to put my hands when I was feeling awkward and didn't know what to do with my hands. I was smart with my hair on Sunday, though. I pulled it all back (to beat the heat), and even pulled my bangs back so I didn't have an excuse to obsess over pushing them back behind my ears. So many nervous ticks I have!

I have a few more updates for you, but I'll pace myself in posting them. Thanks for reading and for the encouragement with my projects.

13 comments:

  1. Ooh, I love the skirt. Looks fantastic, and I'm IN LOVE with those sandals. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big fan of the skirt, also LOVE the belt and shoes!!
    Sigh...if I only had money so I could go buy a belt like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously Gordita, you are soooo talented. I love all your work. The skirt is amazing. Could I get you to make little Solomon a giraffe? Maybe name him Jeremiah? I'd even pay you for him because they are so cute and I'd love for the little guy to have one. Lemme know...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. The belt was $10 at Ross! I love great finds like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh Gordita your skirt is fabulous. I LOVE the shape and the colour of that fabric is gorgeous. You look amazing in it - and it goes very well with your wonderful Michael Kors sandals!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously Kristina, you are so beautiful and stylish and talented. I love that skirt. Great job. I love seeing your sewing projects! Thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a cute skirt. I have the hardest time finding decent skirt patterns.. but I definitely like the look of this one and will be adding it to my inspiration file! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Soooo cute! Love the color.
    I never dress that cute - go you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your skirt came out beautifully-- and I LOVE that color. I haven't finished my version of it; it's still pinned on the dressform where I left it two weeks ago. I am always so inspired by other sewer's blogs as it is encouraging to see the finished projects actually being worn, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm also having the exact same problem with the pocket, except I can't figure it out! Could you please write how you solved the problem?

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something good.