Thursday, March 4, 2010

What I ate: Tortilla Española

A WW recipe direct from their website, I made Tortilla Española the other night (which was the something exciting I ate and wanted to share with you).




Cast of characters:
3 medium potato(es), baking-variety, peeled, thinly sliced
3 large egg(s)
3 large egg white(s)
1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
1 1/2 Tbsp canola oil
1 medium onion(s), chopped
4 slices of deli sliced ham

So, as usual, I used the directions in the recipe as mere guidelines. This is what I did:

Heat the olive oil in a skillet. I know the recipe called for canola, but I really just use olive oil for everything.

Throw in the potatoes, onions, salt and pepper and cook, stirring almost constantly, until the potatoes are done (this took like 12 minutes for me even the recipe instructions said it would take 5). In the meantime mix up the eggs and whites. Then, when the potatoes are done, pour in the eggs trying to get it evenly distributed around the tatoes. Let it cook well without disturbing it. (I left it for like 7 minutes, but the recipe said it would only take 2 minutes. I like my eggs really dry.) Before flipping it I put ham on the top. Then I flipped it. (When I say I flipped it, I really mean that TC flipped it. And he has this cool technique that I'm probably the last person in the world to hear about, which is to put a plate on top of the tortilla in the pan, flip the skillet upside down so the contents fall on the plate, then slide it off back into the skillet.

So then I let it cook on the other side for another 7 minutes or so while TC ran down the hall to help a neighbor. I used the same technique TC used to flip the tortilla in order to get it out of the pan. Let it cool for 5 or so minutes while you clean up the mess you made in the kitchen and while you wait for TC to get back. Then cut into it and enjoy.



So if you wanted to cook it less on each side the potatoes probably wouldn't burn, but like I said, I like my eggs dry, so I wasn't going to take any chances.

I highly recommend this. It's delicious AND nutritious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me something good.